04 APR 15 – House Cider with Some Tweaks

Continuing on with a new found inspiration for experimenting, we decided to mix some things up in our house cider recipe. One of the things I love most about wine and cider making is the experimentation. Just when I get it right I love to try and make it better.

The trouble being, you just don’t know if you did right or crashed and burned for like six weeks.

The latest endeavor…use new yeast and add homemade vanilla. I broke my cardinal rule! One change at a time…

new batch of hard cider

new batch of hard cider

Recipe: 3 gallon yield

The new yeast…

I have been an advocate of using bread yeast since the beginning. I like being able to pick some yeast up at the grocery store. Quick and easy. We also really enjoy the wine we make.

I will write another post on yeast this week.

We choose the Red Star yeast “Pasteur Champagne”. I have heard good things about the yeast and from my research most cider makers use it.

red star yeast "pasteur champagne"

red star yeast “pasteur champagne”

According to my sources we should be able to produce a cider or wine around 16-17% ABV. We have been experimenting with using a hydrometer to get some actual readings on our batches.

Check out the before reading!

hydrometer reading

hydrometer reading

The other tweak we included was using homemade vanilla extract. My wife started making our own extract a little over a year ago and I love the flavor of it. The decision to use it was part flavor and part pride of using an ingredient we make here at home.

homemade vanilla

homemade vanilla

As always we will let you know how his batch turns out through the stages…brew, rack, bottle, enjoy!

Update: I prepared the yeast as directed on the package. I think that was a mistake and though the prep used low heat (lower than 100 degrees) I believe it killed the yeast. After about 12 hours the carboy had no bubbling activity.

I decided to add another envelope of the champagne yeast directly to the batch. The champagne yeast is slower and not a vigorous but I felt there was no activity at all.

I wanted to salvage the batch if at all possible!

I think I made the right decision…after 12 hours I had large bubbles forming; very slight bubbling in the air lock. One pop every 10-15. This morning I awoke to the beautiful aroma of my favorite reaction and the air lock was popping constantly…a dutiful pop, pop, pop. No pause.

Feeling redeemed.

Hope you enjoy!

Leave a Comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s